I have been sewing and crafting for as long as I can remember. I have been knitting since 2000, and garment sewing since the end of 2017. I have a lot of memories of sewing throughout my childhood: my grandma taught me in grade school and helped me make bell bottoms by adding a triangle to the bottom of some 90’s jeans (and was a hippie for halloween for the next 4 years); sewing a corduroy jacket in high school home-ec (wish I still had it!); my best friend’s mom helped me sew a stuffed Capuchin monkey after I saw the movie Monkey Trouble (love you, Thora Birch); and I have always altered clothes and sewn pillows etc. After finishing my PhD in plant biology in 2015, I decided to pursue my creative passions, and I have since been sewing purses & bags for a living.
I wish I had started sewing my own clothes a LOT earlier! I have always been picky about clothing style & fit, which is why sewing garments is so freeing! I haven’t purchased clothing since I started sewing clothes (other than socks and underwear). I now feel like I can make (almost) anything I can imagine!
Measurements for size reference:
37.5″ – 29.5″ – 42″
- Tried & True Patterns: Hey June Halifax Hoodie, Hey June Cheyenne Tunic, Allie Olson Kila Tank, Helen’s Closet Avery Leggings, Chalk & Notch Fringe Blouse, Threadbear Taos Top
- Fabric Stores: StoneMountain & Daughter,
- Podcasts: Love To Sew, My Favorite Murder, Wine & Crime, This Podcast Will Kill You,
- Movies/TV: Brazil; I Heart Huckabees; Mulholland Drive; Another Earth; Perfect Sense; American Werewolf in Paris; The Shining; Primer; Rosemary’s Baby; The Beach; Fast Cheap & Out of Control; Cabin Fever (2002)
- Fleabag; True Detective (S1); The Leftovers; Six Feet Under; Sharp Objects
- Books: The Unbearable Lightness of Being; The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao; God Bless You, Dr Kevorkian; Lullaby; Hen’s Teeth & Horses Toes; Evolution for Everyone
Machines I use:
- Everyday machine: Bernina 475
- Serger: Singer Pro-finish
- Coverstitch: Janome 900 CPX
- Embroidery: Brother SE-400